Beowulf is a historic old English epic poem. Beowulf consists of 3,182 alliterative lines. Beowulf is considered as one of the most important works in Old English literature. Scholars have different opinions about the date of its composition but they think it was written between 975 and 1025. According to scholars, the anonymous poet is referred to as “Beowulf poet”. You can download Beowulf PDF at the end.
Review of Beowulf:
The story of Beowulf is set in Scandinavia at the times of 6th century. In the story, Beowulf comes to help Horot whose kingdom has been attacked by a monster named Grendel. After the death of Grendel, his mother attacked the kingdom but was unsuccessful. Beowulf returns back to his home and becomes the king of Geats. After fifty years of this event, Beowulf fought with a dragon and killed him but because of his wounds, he also died. The attendants of Beowulf in memory cremate his body and erect a tower on a headland. In the year 1731, the original manuscript was damaged by fire which swept through Ashburnham House in London.
Features of Beowulf pdf:
- Beowulf authors are not known because it is a very historical novel.
- The poem was written in West Saxon dialect of Old English.
- It is believed that the novel is written between 700 to 1000 AD.
- The manuscript of the poem is damaged because of the fire in 1731.
- The poem was first printed in the year 1815 by Thorkelin.
- The poem comes under the Genre of Epic heroic writing.
- The total length of the poem is 3182 lines.
- The poem is based on the battles and adventures of Beowulf, a Geatish hero.
- The poem got high fame because of its amazing content.
Download Beowulf PDF:
Click the button below to download Beowulf PDF free and read online.
Leave a Comment