The Crucible is a 1953 novel written by American author Arthur Miller. The Crucible revolves around partially fictionalized story of Salem Witch Trials which happened at Massachusetts Bay Colony from 1692 till 1693. The writer wrote this as an allegory for McCarthyism for times when the government of the United States kills peoples who were accused of being communists. By the House of Representatives’ Committee on Un-American Activities questioned Miller in the year 1956 and convicted of contempt of Congress because he refused to identify other peoples which were present at the meeting. You can download The Crucible PDF at the end.
Review of The Crucible:
On 22 Jan 1953, The Crucible was performed in Martin Beck Theatre, starring Madeleine Sherwood, Beatrice Straight and E. G. Marshall. The author felt that production is too stylized and cold and it got hostile reviews. The Crucible won Tony Award for Best Play in the year 1953. After one-year new production was succeeded and The Crucible has been regarded as a classic. The Crucible has been considered as a central work at the platform of American Drama.
Features of The Crucible pdf:
- The Crucible is written by Arthur Miller.
- The major characters of the play are Rebecca Nurse, Giles Corey, John Hathorne, Mary Warren, Thomas Danforth, Elizabeth Proctor, John Proctor, Reverend Samuel Parris, Reverend John Hale and Abigail Williams.
- The Crucible was premiered on date 22 January 1953.
- The Crucible was premiered at Martin Beck Theatre, New York City.
- The play was written in the English language.
- The subject of the play is Salem witch trials, McCarthyism.
- The play comes under the Genre of Tragedy.
- The play has been adapted for various theatres from around the world and has been loved by the audience from all around the world.
Download The Crucible PDF:
Click the button below to download The Crucible PDF free and read online.